9.8.12

writing:: kidnapped

image via pinterest

I step down from the last step, barefoot. As one foot abandons the roughness of the wood, the other is meeting warm, yellow sand. Sand curls itself between my toes, slowly burning hotter until I’m leaping to avoid the yellow pool of fire. A breeze picks up off the sea. First friendly and sweet-smelling, now sinister. Once a breeze, now a strong wind, it grabs me from behind and draws me upward towards its home of cotton balls soaked with dew. First offering relief from the scorching sand, but now it is kidnapping me. It carries me in its strong arms, up, up, but then swoops back down like a roller-coaster. I scream in panic as it roars powerfully and fills my face with its hot breath. Wind drops me then and I’m falling, screaming, flailing, crashing into water that feels like concrete. I’m afraid to open my eyes lest I find out I am dead, but then I’m awake.

No comments: